Categories
Transcript

Second City, Second Metro: “realistically one must accept that this is one City”

Ottawa Mayor Don Reid (pictured here with Nancy Greene in 1968), appeared in front of the Jones Commission with a team to outline Ottawa’s position. Image: J. Primrose / Library and Archives Canada / e011196790.

When Ottawa Mayor Don Reid and a team of other municipal politicians and officials appeared before Murray Jones, they highlighted the need for an amalgamated single-tier municipality inside the Greenbelt. While the City of Ottawa clearly did not get its wish granted by the Jones Commission, it would as part of the 2001 amalgamation – and then some.

Categories
Transcript

Second City, Second Metro: Annexations Unwelcome at Merivale Gardens

Homeowners in Merivale Gardens were not interested in being swallowed by Ottawa. Image: geoOttawa.

Perhaps unsurprisingly at this point, the Jones Commission heard from another Greenbelt community that independence was preferred.

Categories
Transcript

Second City, Second Metro: “clashes of opinion between urban and rural elements”

Fisher Heights Public School. As it likely had a kindergarten, some in Nepean Township considered it a “frill”. Image: City of Ottawa Archives, CA025528.

In its submission to the Jones Commission, the Nepean Township Public School Board outlined how it had been dealing with the changes brought on by suburbanization.

Categories
Transcript

Second City, Second Metro: an “inflexible solution to accommodate change”

John I. Butler, Chair of the Gloucester Planning Board, was owner/builder of the modern gem at 1 Kindle Court. Source: Ottawa Journal, June 26, 1965, pp. H4-5.

In 1965, John Butler appeared before the Jones Commission in his own capacity as a private citizen rather than as Chair of the Gloucester Planning Board.

Categories
Transcript

Second City, Second Metro: An Orleans Divided

House in Orleans, 1954. Image: City of Ottawa Archives, CA031138.

The Orleans Chamber of Commerce and the Board of Trustees of the Police Village of Orleans combined forces to express concern with the complicated administrative setup it had been saddled with.

Categories
Transcript

Second City, Second Metro: Gloucester Township and Ottawa’s Hungry Eyes

Gloucester Township, new fire engine. August 10, 1956 Source: City of Ottawa Archives, CA039925.

With memories of 1947-50, Gloucester Township’s Council was not supportive of additional annexations, but did see additional roles for Carleton County.

Categories
Transcript

Second City, Second Metro: Carleton County Federation of Agriculture Offers Its Vision

Carleton County Federation of Agriculture’s 1962 Executive, from left-to-right, Arthur Manchester of Carp, Donald Munro of Carp, and John Campbell of Vernon. Source: Ottawa Journal, December 16, 1961, 3.

The Carleton County Federation of Agriculture’s wide-ranging and detailed presentation to the Jones Commission highlighted the “strong need for a close urban-rural relationship in community planning, development and local government.”

Categories
Transcript

Second City, Second Metro: Fitzroy “content with things as they are at the present.”

St. George’s Church of England, Fitzroy Harbour, Ont. June 9th, 1925. Source: Library and Archives Canada, Accession 1968-067 NPC, PA-026794.

At the far west end of Carleton County, the Township of Fitzroy presented picture of general contentment with the status quo.

Categories
Transcript

Second City, Second Metro: March Township Could Use Help

Outbuilding, Pinney Homestead, erected c. 1825, March Township, Carleton County, Ontario. June 8, 1925. Source: Library and Archives Canada, Accession 1968-067 NPC, PA-026937.

When given the opportunity to appear before the Jones Commission, the Council of the Township of March expressed its need for a little help.

Categories
Apartment

Bell’s “Nickel in the Slot” Phone Unwelcome at The Warrington

The Warrington Apartments (1909) lost its free-to-use communal phone in 1917 when Bell replaced it with a “nickel in the slot” phone. Image: December 2018.

Built in 1909, the Warrington Apartments is one of the city’s older apartments and one of the oldest at the southern end of Elgin street.