The Electrical Contractors’ Association of Ottawa appeared before Jones with one request: that any Metropolitan style city that emerges from the process retain the existing City of Ottawa Bylaw 172, regulating electrical work.
It was not just the Townships of Nepean and Gloucester that had a hard time with the National Capital Commission’s approach to the Greenbelt: those who owned property in what became the Greenbelt weren’t entirely impressed either.
When a small team of administrators from the Ottawa Civic Hospital appeared before the Jones Commission on March 31, 1965, it was pretty clear that they did so with one thing in mind: money. Unlike many others to appear, they did not come with ideas for local governance, with (much of) a vision for the future, or with technical critiques of the practice of local government in Ontario. To be certain, all of these themes were present in one way or another, but it was the lack of money and inefficient administration requirements that were at the front of mind.
Presenting on the same day as the Navan Lion’s Club, the Women’s Institute of Navan appeared before Murray Jones on March 31 to make the case for separation from the United Counties of Prescott and Russell and an alignment with Carleton County.1”Navan Briefs: More Urge Link To Carleton County,” Ottawa Journal, March 31, 1965, 1.
Notes [ + ]
|1.||↥||”Navan Briefs: More Urge Link To Carleton County,” Ottawa Journal, March 31, 1965, 1.|
Arguing that Cumberland Township’s life was oriented towards Ottawa, rather than to Prescott-Russell seat in L’Orignal, the Navan Lion’s Club appeared before Jones on March 31, 1965 to make the case.
The Sandringham Apartments, located at the far eastern edge of Sandy Hill on what was once known as Regan’s Hill,1”‘Regan’s Hill’ Received It’s Name From Henry Regan and His Sons 185[?],” Ottawa Citizen, March 31, 1928, 16. has been overlooking Strathcona Park since its completion in 1958. Its developers, Range Road Developments pulled out all the stops and hired Peter Dickinson, then of Page and Steele, to design an apartment aimed at the luxury market.2For a great tour of Dickinson’s work in Ottawa, see Robert Smythe’s “Peter Dickinson in Ottawa,” (2009).
Notes [ + ]
|1.||↥||”‘Regan’s Hill’ Received It’s Name From Henry Regan and His Sons 185[?],” Ottawa Citizen, March 31, 1928, 16.|
|2.||↥||For a great tour of Dickinson’s work in Ottawa, see Robert Smythe’s “Peter Dickinson in Ottawa,” (2009).|