Front: 1958 and 2013
Located at 1860 Bank, the Brewers’ Retail warehouse and retail outlet was completed in 1958 and its design is credited to John B. Parkin & Associates.
As the organization’s warehouse and distribution centre, it was served by CP Rail’s Prescott Subdivision.
Then somewhat isolated along Bank St. and south of Walkley, the facility was sometimes an attractive target for theft.
Joyriding and stolen beer.
Not a well-replicated shot, but the idea is there.
It remains a Beer Store outlet to this day, while the warehousing facility has since been moved out to 2750 Swansea Cr.
69-81 Putman Avenue.
These four six-plexes, located at 69, 73, 77, and 81 Putman Avenue, were erected some time around 1949-50. In May of 1949, an L. Beaudoin was issued a building permit by the City of Ottawa for $112,000 (approximately $1.125 million today). The June 11, 1949 edition of the Ottawa Citizen, reporting on Ottawa’s postwar housing boom, noted that the 207 building permits totaling $2,067,501 were issued that year – the highest since 1922.
As with most of Ottawa, the postwar housing boom re-shaped the city both quickly and dramatically and the development of housing along Putman Avenue, while much less grand, may be considered indicative. Between 1902 and 1922, for instance, aside from laying the street itself, very little activity took place. Indeed, during the mid-1930s, it was a nice place to pick flowers. By 1956, however, numerous apartments had been constructed.
1956 Fire Insurance Map
In addition to the apartments pictured above, some of 1949’s construction highlights included:
- an addition to the Oblate’s Main Street Seminary on Main ($500,000);
- addition to the Coliseum at Lansdowne ($383,855);
- renovations to the Bank of Nova Scotia at 121 Rideau St. ($125,000);
- renovations to the Dominion Bank at 214 Sparks St ($300,000); and
- an addition to the Lady Evelyn School at 63 Evelyn Ave. in Old Ottawa East ($166,336).
The most significant and dramatic changes to the hilly terrain between Purman Avenue and Rideau Terrace were still to come, however. In a later post, I’ll discuss Robert Campeau’s Champlain Towers (which loom over the neighbourhood) and Springfield Mews (which replaced Charles Craig & Son Greenhouses).